Making herbs a regular part of the diet is a super idea as many are a great source of antioxidants.
Yields approximately 1 ½ cups
- 1 cup packed basil leaves
- ½ cup toasted walnuts
- 1 garlic clove
- ½ cup Parmesan Cheese
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Mix all in a blender or food processor until an even consistency is reached.
- You can add more garlic if you would like. You may want to mix it, have a taste and then decide.
- This pesto freezes wonderfully. Place the pesto in ice cube trays and once the pesto has solidified place the blocks in a plastic bag and use it in the future. The ice cube technique it nice because it freezes the pesto in handy portion sizes.
- The recipe can easily be doubled.
- You can try different nuts such as pine nuts or macadamias.
- You can try different herbs such as cilantro or parsley.
- Serve over top of pastas, grilled vegetables, and fish. Or turn a piece of French or Pita bread into a pesto pizza. The options are endless but all are delicious.
- Leave out the parmesan cheese for a vegan pesto sauce.
For more information: Click here to visit Will Clower's website.