- 1 medium – large potato, peeled and diced
- 1 large head of cauliflower cut or broken into florets (reserve 2 cups)
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and chopped
- 3 medium cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 ½ cups chopped onion
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups (packed) cheddar cheese plus some for garnishing
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 tsp dill
- ½ tsp caraway seeds
- Black pepper to taste
- Place cauliflower (except for the 2 cups), potato, carrot, garlic, onion, salt and water in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil and then simmer until all veggies are tender
- Puree in batches in a blender or food processor and transfer to a soup pot
- Steam the reserved cauliflower until just tender.
- Add it to the puree along with the remaining ingredients.
- Heat gently until well blended and serve topped with a little cheese.
This recipe is from the Moosewood Cookbook by Mollie Katzen.