- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 6 slices bacon
- 2 onions, diced
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 2 green bell peppers, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 (10 ounce) can sliced black olives, drained (optional)
- 1 (10 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained (optional)
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine chicken broth and tomato sauce.
- Bring to a boil while cooking the following:
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until evenly brown.
- Chop bacon, and set aside, reserving a small portion of the bacon fat.
- Add onion to skillet, and saute until tender.
- Stir in rice, and cook until lightly browned, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Pour in boiling chicken broth and tomato sauce.
- Add diced tomatoes, green peppers, and chopped bacon.
- Season with chili powder, salt, and pepper.
- Cover, and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Stir in black olives and corn.
If you are going to double the recipe (I usually make a doubled recipe), use the same amount of bacon strips and oil, and keep to 1 can of olives and 1 can of corn, double all other ingredients.