- 6 ounces Vermicelli, broken into 1-inch pieces
- 3 ½ cups chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 1, 10 oz. can diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 pound smoked sausage
- 1 package frozen corn
- 1, 14 1/2 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon lime juice (more to taste)
Combine stock, water, tomatoes, cilantro, chili powder and cumin in a Dutch oven.
Bring to a boil
Cover, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
For the soup goodies
- Cut the sausage in half lengthwise then thinly slice.
- Add meat, pasta, corn, and black beans to broth.
- Cover and simmer 10-12 minutes or until pasta is cooked.
- Stir in lime juice.
Ladle into bowls. Garnish each serving with minced fresh cilantro, thinly sliced avocado and grated cheddar or Monterrey Jack cheese.