Give this fabulous dessert a try. It is a great way to incorporate fruit into you meals and it does not take a lot of ingredients to make. You may want to give it a try with apples too.
- 6 medium (6 to 7 ounce) ripe but firm Bosc pears, peeled, halved lengthwise
- 6 Tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter
- ¼ cup (packed) golden brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons Scotch
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Using melon baller or small spoon, scoop out core from each pear half.
- Melt butter in large ovenproof skillet over medium heat.
- Whisk in brown sugar and salt.
- Arrange pears, cut side down, in skillet in single layer.
- Spoon some of sugar mixture over pears.
- Place skillet in oven; bake until pears are tender, basting once with syrup, about 30 minutes.
- Transfer pears, cut side up, to large shallow bowl, leaving syrup in skillet.
- Mix Scotch and vanilla extract into syrup.
- Using oven mitts as aid, place hot skillet over medium-high heat (mixture may ignite).
- Cook until syrup is reduced by half, whisking often, about 2 minutes.
- Spoon syrup over pears and serve.