This is a delightful soup that incorporates beans into the diet and beans aid us in cholesterol!
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 stalk of celery, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 cups beef broth
- 2 cups water (more if needed)
- 2 cups navy beans, cooked (save bean juice)
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary
- 2 Tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ pound elbow macaroni or Arborio rice
- 1/3 cup freshly grated parmesan or Asiago cheese
- In large pot, cook the bacon until crisp.
- Pour off the fat and add olive oil and cook the carrot, celery and onion until slightly soft.
- Stir in flour and tomato paste.
- Add beef broth, bean juice/water, rosemary, parsley, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Simmer slowly until the vegetables are tender, adding water as needed.
- Add macaroni and cook until tender, stirring frequently, as it sinks and sticks.
- Add water, if needed.
- Add the beans and heat through.
- Taste for adequate seasoning.
- If soup is not thick, puree one third of it and return the puree to the pot.
- Serve soup with a bowl of grated cheese.