Many times the best gift is a homemade treat. The special ingredient being love.
· 4 ounces coarsely chopped dark chocolate
· ¼ pound unsalted butter, at room temperature
· ¼ cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
· 1 cup plus 2 Tablespoons flour, sifted
· Preheat oven to 400 deg F.
· Lightly butter a 9-inch pie pan (or your favorite shortbread mold).
· Using a food processor fitted with a metal blade, chop the chocolate using on-off pulses, until it resembles coarse meal.
· Using an electric mixer set at medium speed, cream the butter with the sugar in a large bowl until smooth.
· Beat in the flour.
· Stir in the chopped chocolate.
· Pat the dough evenly into the prepared pan.
· Using the tip of a sharp knife, score the dough into eight equal triangles.
· Bake the shortbread until light golden in color, about 30 minutes.
· Transfer in the pan to a wire rack to cool slightly.
· Remove the shortbread from the pan and cool completely on the wire rack.
· Store in an airtight container at room temperature.