Expecting holiday guests? These scones would make a nice complement to a relaxing brunch.
- 2 cups flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 cup crystallized ginger, finely chopped, (found in the spice section of store)
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tablespoon water
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In a medium bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking soda and cream of tartar.
- Stir in ginger and lemon zest.
- In a separate bowl, combine buttermilk and oil.
- Fold into dry ingredients until blended.
- Turn the slightly sticky dough out onto a lightly floured board and form into a rectangle about ½ inch in thickness.
- With a knife, cut each triangles about 4 inches tall (or so).
- Reroll and cut the scraps, handling the dough as little as possible.
- Place scones onto a baking sheet.
- Blend water in w egg in a bowl, and then lightly paint the tops of the scones with the glaze.
- Sprinkle scones with sugar.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the tops are golden and firm to touch.
- Serve warm.