This is a wonderful recipe taken from the Three Rivers Cookbook. They are a great complement to the holiday meals.
Yields 36 rolls
- ¼ cup warm water
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 package dry yeast
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 cups lukewarm water
- ½ cup oil
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 egg
- 7 cups flour (approximately)
- Mix first three ingredients and let stand 10 minutes.
- Blend remaining ingredients and mix with the liquid mixture.
- Let rise until doubled in bulk, knead down and let rise a second time.
- Shape into rolls, cover with a cloth and let stand overnight. (Do not refrigerate!)
- Bake the next morning at 350˚ until brown, about 15 minutes.
- You can freeze the rolls.