- 3 medium eggplants
- 2 ½ teaspoons coarse salt
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 ½ cups tomato sauce
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon crushed dried mint
- Slice the eggplants crosswise into 1 1/2 inch thick pieces.
- Sprinkle them with 2 teaspoons of the salt and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Then rinse eggplants under cold water and dry well.
- Heat the oil in a skillet and lightly brown eggplant slices over moderate heat for 3 minutes.
- Remove and put into a serving bowl.
- Put the tomato sauce, pepper, red pepper flakes, cinnamon, mint and remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt, in a pan.
- Simmer over low heat for 10 minutes, which is long enough to integrate the flavors.
- Pour this over the eggplant; refrigerate until ready to use.
- The salad can remain in the refrigerator for several days.
- Serve cold or at room temperature.
For more information: Click here to visit Will Clower's website.