Blueberries are in season and they are not just for dessert anymore. As a savory sauce, they are a delicious complement to salmon.
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh chives
- 4 (6 ounce) salmon steaks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pour 1/2 cup chicken stock, vinegar, orange juice, and honey in a small pot and bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium. Dissolve cornstarch in 1/4 cup of chicken stock, and stir into the simmering sauce.
- Cook and stir until the sauce thickens and turns clear, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the blueberries and chives, and keep warm over low heat.
On your grill
- Preheat to medium high-heat. Brush salmon with oil, and season to your liking with salt and pepper.
- Grill until the fish flakes easily with a fork, about 3 to 4 minutes per side. Serve with blueberry sauce.