This is a wonderful sauce to complement both pastas and seafood.
Yields Approximately 1 cup
- ¼ teaspoon saffron threads, crumbled
- 2 Tablespoons shallot, minced
- 2 Tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons heavy cream
- 14 Tablespoons unsalted butter, cold and cut into 14 pieces
- Salt and Pepper
- In a small heavy saucepan, combine the saffron, shallot, vinegar, and wine.
- Simmer the mixture until it is reduced to about 2 Tablespoons.
- Stir in the cream and simmer the mixture, whisking occasionally, until the liquid is reduced to 2 Tablespoons.
- Season the mixture with salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat to low, and whisk in the butter, 1 piece at a time, but overlapping slightly to keep the sauce from getting too hot.
- Remove from heat, from time to time, as the butter is whisked in.
- Remove from heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Use with pasta and/or sea foods.