· 2 cups grated potatoes (approximately 1 pound of potatoes)
· 1 teaspoon baking powder
· 2 Tablespoons flour
· 3 Tablespoons finely chopped onion
· 2 Tablespoons chopped parsley
· 2 large eggs, well beaten
· 1 teaspoon salt
· 4 Tablespoons cooking oil
- Wash and peel potatoes.
- Grate coarsely and drain in colander, press firmly in kitchen towel to extract moisture.
- Sprinkle grated potatoes with baking powder and toss to mix well (The baking powder helps to prevent discoloration)
- Combine potatoes with flour, onion, parsley, eggs and salt, stirring to mix well.
- Heat two tablespoons of oil in a skillet over medium high heat.
- Scoop small mounds (1 or 2 heaping Tablespoons each) of potato mixture into skillet and press down to form cakes approximately 3 to 4 inches in diameter and 1/2 inch thick.
- Cook for two minutes on each side, until crisp and browned.
- Add a little more oil if necessary to cook all the cakes.
- Serve piping hot!
- Serve with apple sauce or sour cream or simply by themselves.
- Or try making the cake smaller and serve them as an appetizer.