A participant requested a good beer bread recipe. This one is from the Joy of Cooking cookbook and takes no time at all to make. We hope you all enjoy it!
Position a rack in the lower third of the oven. Preheat the oven to 400. Grease an 8 ½ x 4 ½ inch (6-cup) loaf pan.
Whisk together in a large bowl:
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups light or dark beer (but not stout), cold or at room temperature but not flat.
- Fold just until the dry ingredients are moistened.
- Scrape the batter into the pan and spread evenly.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center all the way to the bottom of the pan come out clean, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Let cool in the pan on a rack for 5 to 10 minutes before unmolding to cool completely on the rack.