This is a great recipe to use up bread that is loosing its freshness. So buy a fresh loaf and use it in many different ways. It won't go to waste and you will enjoy the taste!
- 1 loaf Italian bread, cubed
- 3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 1 cup sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 (16 ounce) packages mixed salad greens
- 4 green onions, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 8 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
Preheat broiler. Toss 3 cups cubed Italian bread with olive oil. Season with seasoned salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Spread out in a single layer in a well oiled 9x13 inch baking dish. Broil until toasted, turning to brown evenly. Set croutons aside to cool.
Spread pine nuts on a baking sheet, place on bottom rack of the oven, and toast under broiler. This should only take a few minutes, so watch carefully to prevent burning. Set aside to cool.
Soak sun-dried tomatoes in hot water for 5 to 10 minutes, or until soft. Drain, and slice.
In a large salad bowl, toss mixed greens with green onions. Top with croutons, sun-dried tomatoes, pine nuts, and feta.