Thursday, September 30, 2010
Wednesday, July 28, 2010
This recipe is taken from The Joy of Cooking Cookbook.
It is a great recipe to get you started on exploring pizza dough. And remember pizza and even be cooked on the grill. Enjoy!
Combine in a large mixing bowl or the bowl of a heavy duty mixer and let stand until the yeast is dissolved, about 5 minutes:
1 package (2 ¼ teaspoons) active dry yeast
1 1/3 cup warm (105 to 115 F) water
3 ½ to 3 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 Tablespoon salt
1 Tablespoon sugar (optional)
Mix by hand or on low speed for about 1 minute to blend all the ingredients. Knead for about 10 minutes by hand or with the dough hook on low to medium speed until the dough is smooth and elastic. Transfer the dough to a bowl lightly coated with olive oil and turn it over once to coat with oil. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place (75 to 80 F) until doubled in volume, 1 to 1 ½ hours.
Preheat the oven 475 F. Grease and dust 3 baking sheets with cornmeal; or place a baking stone (if you have one) in the oven and preheat it for 45 minutes. Punch the dough down and divide it in half. Roll each piece into a ball and let rest, loosely covered with plastic wrap, for 10 to 15 minutes. At this point prepare the desired toppings.
Flatten each ball of dough 1 at a time on a lightly floured work surface into a 12-inch round, rolling and stretching the dough. Pace each dough circle on a prepared baking sheet; if using a baking stone, place them on baker’s peels dusted with cornmeal. Lift the edge and pinch it to form a lip. To prevent the filling from making the crust soggy, brush the top of the dough with: Olive oil
Use your fingertips to push dents in the surface of the dough (to prevent bubbling) and let rest for about 10 minutes. The pizza is now ready to be topped and baked.
Sunday, July 11, 2010
- 1, 9 inch pie shell, baked
- 1 1/2 quarts fresh strawberries
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- Grated lemon zest (optional)
- Whipped cream (if desired)
- Wash strawberries and remove stems. Do not wash the strawberries early prepare right before you are about to make the pie.
- Reserve half the strawberries (the best looking ones) and mash the rest in a heavy saucepan.
- Add the sugar and cornstarch.
- Place over medium heat and cook for 5 minutes or more until thickened and clear.
- Stir in lemon juice and grated zest if tangy taste is desired (recommended).
- Let cool.
- Add remaining berries, except for 5 or 6 to use as garnish.
- Pour in baked pie shell.
- Arrange reserved berries on top and chill well.
- Before serving, top with whipped cream.
Friday, July 2, 2010
Friday, April 9, 2010
1 pound extra large shrimp, peeled
1 Tablespoon fresh lime juice
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon onion powder
¼ teaspoon thyme
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon red pepper
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
Toss the shrimp with the lime juice in a bowl.
Mix the garlic powder, onion powder, thyme, salt, red pepper and black pepper in a small bowl.
Sprinkle over the shrimp and toss to coat well.
Place cooking oil in a large skillet.
Heat until hot.
Add the shrimp and cook for 3 minutes, or until the shrimp are pink, stiring constantly.
Spoon into a serving dish.
Chill, covered, for 1 hour or longer.
Garnish with lime wedges.
Monday, March 1, 2010
Monday, January 18, 2010
· 2 pounds rockfish, halibut or cod filets (1/2 or ¾ inch thick
· ½ cup cornmeal
· ½ cup all-purpose flour
· ½ cup buttermilk
· ¼ cup butter
· ¼ cup olive oil
· Rinse fish and pat dry; cut into 6 to 8 equal pieces, if necessary
· Sprinkle with salt and pepper
· In a shallow bowl, combine cornmeal and flour.
· Pour buttermilk into another shallow bowl.
· Dip each piece of fish in buttermilk and drain briefly; then dip in cornmeal mixture to coat lightly on both sides.
· Set aside.
· Melt butter in oil in a wide frying pan over medium heat.
· Add fish, arranging it in a single layer.
· Cook, turning once, until browned on both sides and just opaque but still moist in thickest part. Cut to test. (about 5 minutes)
· Serve immediately with tangy sauce.
Tangy Fish Sauce
· 1 cup sour cream
· 2 Tablespoons buttermilk
· 3 Tablespoons chopped pimento-stuffed green olives
· 2 Tablespoons chopped parsley
· ¼ teaspoon salt
· 1/8 teaspoon paprika
· In a small bowl, stir together all ingredients.
· Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to blend flavors